What is word processor?
The application program that is enabling the process of text is called “word processing program” or simply “word processor”. It allows the user to enter, view, edit, manipulate, store and print text material
Microsoft word is word processor software which allows you to write letters edit them and print them after formatting it according to your needs. It has all the possible option in the form of font style and size, indents, line spacing margins spell checking and grammar checkers etc.
• Click on start button and select all programs option.
• Select Microsoft office and then Microsoft word
• Click on start button >> Run >> type "winword" and press enter button.
Structure of ms- word window
1. Title bar: The title bar displays the name if the currently active word document. It also holds same control buttons- minimize, restore/maximize and close.
2. Menu bar: Directly below the title bar is the menu bar. It contains pulldown menu.
3. Toolbar: It has buttons to issue commands when clicked.
• Standard tool bar: Contains buttons that you can use for standard file management, text editing and proofing command.
|New||Creates a new, blank document||FILE | NEW|
|Open||Displays the Open dialog box so that you can retrieve an existing document||FILE | OPEN|
|Save||Saves the active document to a specified location||FILE | SAVE|
|Prints active document||FILE | PRINT|
|Print Preview||Displays what the document will look like when you print it||FILE | PRINT PREVIEW|
|Spell Checker||Checks active document for spelling and grammatical errors||TOOLS | SPELLING|
|Cut||Cuts the selected text and places it on the clipboard||EDIT | CUT|
|Copy||Copies the selected text and places it on the clipboard||EDIT | COPY|
|Paste||Pastes the contents of the clipboard to a new location||EDIT | PASTE|
|Format Painter||Copies the formatting of the selected text to a new text selection|
|Undo||Undoes the last document change||EDIT | UNDO|
|Redo||Redoes the last action that was undone||EDIT | REDO|
|Insert Hyperlink||Creates a hyperlink from the selected text||INSERT | HYPERLINK|
|Web Toolbar||Shows web toolbar||VIEW | TOOLBARS | WEB|
|Tables Toolbar||Shows tables toolbar||VIEW | TOOLBARS | TABLES|
|Insert Table||Inserts a table||TABLE | INSERT TABLE|
|Insert Excel Worksheet||Inserts an Excel Worksheet|
|Text Columns||Changes the number of text columns per page||FORMAT | COLUMNS|
|Drawing||Shows drawing toolbar||VIEW | TOOLBARS | DRAWING|
|Document Map||Changes the view of the document||VIEW | DOCUMENT MAP|
|Show/Hide Non-Print Characters||Shows and hides non-print characters (for example the symbol for new paragraph)|
|View||Magnifies or reduces the document contents by the specified zoom percentage||VIEW | ZOOM|
|Office Assistant||Help function||HELP|
• Formatting toolbar: Contains buttons that you can use for formatting characters and paragraph.
|Style||Changes the style of the selected text||FORMAT | FONT|
|Font||Changes the font for the selected text||FORMAT | FONT|
|Font Size||Changes the point size of the selected text||FORMAT | FONT|
|Bold||Makes the selected text bold||FORMAT | FONT|
|Italic||Makes the selected text italic||FORMAT | FONT|
|Underline||Underlines the selected text||FORMAT | FONT|
|Align Left||Aligns the selected text/paragraph(s) left||FORMAT | PARAGRAPH|
|Center||Centers the selected text/paragraph(s)||FORMAT | PARAGRAPH|
|Align Right||Aligns the selected text/paragraph(s) right||FORMAT | PARAGRAPH|
|Justify||Justifies the selected text/paragraph(s)||FORMAT | PARAGRAPH|
|Numbers||Creates a numbered list or numbers the selected paragraph(s)||FORMAT | BULLETS AND NUMBERING|
|Bullets||Creates a bulleted list or adds bullets the selected paragraph(s)||FORMAT | BULLETS AND NUMBERING|
|Decrease Indent||Decreases the indentation of the selected paragraph(s)||FORMAT | PARAGRAPH|
|Increase Indent||Increases the indentation of the selected paragraph(s)||FORMAT | PARAGRAPH|
|Borders||Creates a border around the selected text/paragraph(s)||FORMAT | BORDERS AND SHADING|
|Highlight||Allows you to highlight specified text|
|Font Color||Allows you to change the color of the text||FORMAT | FONT|
4. Scroll bar: The scroll bar helps you scroll the content or body of document.
5. Workspace: The workspace is the area in the document window where you type the text of your document.
6. Ruler: Showing page width and position of tab, indents columns and margins.
7. Status bar: The status bar displays information about the currently active document. This includes the page number that you are working, the column and line of the cursor position and so on.
Advantage of word processing
• On e of the main advantage of a word processor over a conventional typewriter is that a word processor enables you to make change to a document without retyping the entire document.
• Words and sentences can be inserted or deleted.
• Paragraph or text can be copied/moved throughout the document.
• Margins and page length can be adjusted as desired.
• Spelling can be checked and modified through the spell check facility.
• Multiple document/files can be merged.
• Multiple copies of letters can generated with different addresses through the mail—merge facility.
• Font size and type of font also be change. Page number and header and footer can be included
• Text can formatted in column style as we see in the newspaper text boxes can be made.
• Tables can be made and included in the text.
• It provides online help of any option.
• Word allows the user to mix the graphical picture with the text. Graphical picture can either be created in word itself or can import from outside like from Clip Art Gallery.